RE: The Best TC/TW/TE Education...

Subject: RE: The Best TC/TW/TE Education...
From: "Heidi Von Markham" <hvonmark -at- onesecure -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 10:55:09 -0700

I completed the Technical Writing Certificate program at San Jose State
University extension last year for "Marketing" purposes. My opinion may be
somewhat skewed because I was already a technical writer before I took the
program, but here's how I felt the courses and teachers rated:

(100% is great; 10% is a waste of time and money)

10% Writing Basics (grammar)
100% Copyediting
60% Document Editing (substantive)
20% Computer administration/programming classes
70% Instructions & Procedure
80% Tools (Framemaker, Acrobat, Graphics programs)
50% Other specialized classes (Reports, Bio Tech, Manuals)

There was no RoboHelp class, no discussion of the software development
cycle, and no real practice in developing that "thick skin" through
reviewing and editing each other's work. In particular, their writing basics
classes were *terrible*; many of us in the class had English backgrounds and
already knew what we were doing, but some participants were transitioning
out of other fields and were completely lost. For that reason alone, I can't
really recommend the program for non-writers.

If I had the money to do it over again, I would go for the Java or
Programming in C certificate. Hope this helps.

-- Heidi von Markham
Silicon Valley

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l