Problem with What's This? Help

Subject: Problem with What's This? Help
From: "Skilton Kate (ism1kns)" <ism1kns -at- ups -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 17:39:52 -0400

All:

We have an application that has multiple what's this? help files. For
instance, we have a main application that has multiple "editors." One of
these editors is created and built in another facility and then passed along
for us to incorporate into the main application.

We do What's This? Help for the main application, and the editor in question
also has a what's this? help file associated with it (also created in the
outside facility).

We are experiencing the following problem:

If we open the main application, and then open the editor in question, the
what's this help for the editor works fine. If we close the editor
(returning to the main application), the what's this? help associated with
the main application no longer works. We get a message that tells us that no
help file is associated with the project, etc. etc. etc.

What I have been able to determine is this:

* We do not know what version of RoboHelp the outside group is using.
* We know that the outside group is using Word 2000, and we are using Word
97.
* We do not generate our own map ids for the main application (our
developers generate them and provide them to us). The outside help author
generates their own map ids and feeds the ids to the editor (the reverse of
what we do).

I should note that we already had multiple what's this? help files in our
application, and we have not encountered the problem I described before now,
so I'm wondering what is different this time (other than the outside group).

My first thought was that there were duplicate map ids between the main
application and the editor. All of this is hard to confirm as we don't have
full access to the source created by the outside group.

Has anyone ever experienced this problem, and, if so, can you help me in
correcting it?

Thanks,

Kate Skilton
United Parcel Service