Re: real tech writers? RE: Out-of-Work Tech Writers and Swit

Subject: Re: real tech writers? RE: Out-of-Work Tech Writers and Swit
From: CHRISTINE ANAMEIER <CANAMEIE -at- email -dot- usps -dot- gov>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 11:58:32 -0400

Janet Murphy wrote:

> After sinking my teeth into TC, I quickly found that if I
> wanted to succeed in the field and be respected as a TC, I
> needed to go back to school.

If getting the degree helps you, then good for you. But there are a lot of
successful and respected TCs on this list without Tech Comm degrees. My lack of
a TC degree has never been a disadvantage when I've sought a job or the respect
of others, nor SHOULD it be. I know how to do my job, and I care about doing it
well; those two things deserve more respect than a degree.

> What frustrates me about other TW/TC I have worked with:
> 1. Many come from various backgrounds/disciplines and profess
> to "have a knack" for TC. Please -- if you have a knack,
> back it up with REAL training. Get a degree in the field or
> at least a certificate. Someone professing to be a TW/TC that
> has no real training in the discipline will quickly be identified
> dis-respected by those who DO have training in the field.

No way. No thanks. The experience I gain on the job is more valuable than
anything I'd pick up in a classroom. Besides, I've seen tech comm grads whose
skills didn't exactly knock my socks off. I'm in no hurry to emulate them.

I do not "profess" to be a tech writer. I AM a tech writer... with a degree in
English lit and a longstanding interest in technology. Anyone who disrespects me
for not having a TC degree (and you'd be the first, Janet) is focusing on the
wrong thing.

When you go to a restaurant, do you barge into the kitchen and demand to know
where the chefs learned their trade? Or do you judge them by the quality of the
dish they serve you?

Christine

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l