RE: real tech writers? RE: Out-of-Work Tech Writers and Switching Careers

Subject: RE: real tech writers? RE: Out-of-Work Tech Writers and Switching Careers
From: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 11:01:17 -0400

Janet,

I must respectfully disagree...I do not have a tech writing degree... and I
really don't want one. I have a honors in communications degree that's 20
years old... but I didn't start in technical communications, I started in
that evil profession of marketing. I gained respect by producing useful
stuff for people who needed it.

Degrees do not make real tech writers... hard work, ability and experience
do. Plus, as David's wonderful assessment of people states, you have to
just love to communicate.

I applaud your decision to return to school, but it's not one everyone needs
to make. I find the challenge of keeping up with the profession more than
satisfactory without another set of initials behind my name.

MTC
Connie P. Giordano
Senior Technical Writer
Advisor Technology Services
A Fidelity Investments Company
704-330-2069 (w)
704-330-2350 (f)
704-957-8450 (c)
connie -dot- giordano -at- fmr -dot- com <mailto:connie -dot- giordano -at- fmr -dot- com>

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to
do it." - Pablo Picasso