Re: Low Pay vs. No Pay

Subject: Re: Low Pay vs. No Pay
From: "Karen L. Zorn" <klzorn -at- zorntech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 20:56:49 -0700

I, too, object to experienced, senior technical writers taking low-paying
jobs. But, there is a matter of perspective.

When you've been out of work for 10.5 months, the significant other's
seasonal selling job is moving into the very slow season, the bills are
mounting, because you contract there's no unemployment (would have been
depleted by now), you're buying groceries on the VISA card, and you just
can't stand to hit the badly depleted 401K one more time, what are you going
to do? As I was getting ready to walk out the door to apply at WalMart, I
was offered and accepted a contract at half my previous rate.

The other tech writers I'm working with are in a similiar situation, except
they are captive, and paid by the hour to be accounted for in 10 minute
increments. Plus, after one month they were required to take a 10% cut
because the company was not doing well! We all had been out of work for many
months, the tech market in the Phoenix metro area is extremely bad. A job in
our field, even with pay at much less than we had been making is a paycheck.

Since day one I have kept the job hunt going, and have interviews this week
for new positions that start early July. Am I happy at the decreased rate?
NO! Do the potential contacts pay better? Yes. Will I get back to my higher
rate? Don't know, hope so worked too hard and long to get there.

If you have oodles of savings, no bills, and can wait out the present
economy, then more power to you. Some of us can't afford to. Frankly, even
though this is not the most wonderful contract I've had, I've met some very
interesting people and have enjoyed interesting discussions and exchanges of
opinions. I just can't get that type of interchange from my loyal canine
companions.

Karen L. Zorn
Zorn Technologies, Inc.
Mesa, AZ