Re(4): craft vs. science vs. art

Subject: Re(4): craft vs. science vs. art
From: Jan Henning <henning -at- r-l -dot- de>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 20:52:50 +0200

>Take an extreme situation: wouldn't someone who does not speak the language
>get more from the examples (especially if these are diagrams or pictures)
>than they would from the text?

As I said, this feels very much like arguing which bike wheel is more
important. There may be extreme cases where the examples alone could
provide some value (just like a acrobat could make something of a one-
wheeled bike).

But I would like to point out:

- Many tasks cannot be meaningful explained in graphics.

- An index is useless without something to point to.

- Documentation is not normally written for people who do not speak the
language (at least somewhat).

So, fascinating though your argument is, I still do not think that the
body text could be dispensed with in the overwhelming majority of manuals.

Regards
Jan Henning

Jan Henning
ROSEMANN & LAURIDSEN GMBH
Am Schlossberg 14, D-82547 Eurasburg, Germany

Phone: +49 700 0200 0700, Fax: +49 8179 9307-12
E-Mail: henning -at- r-l -dot- de, Web: www.r-l.de

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l