Re: SLAVE labor? Just a darn minute...

Subject: Re: SLAVE labor? Just a darn minute...
From: Sandy Harris <pashley -at- storm -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 01:47:50 -0400

Goober wrote:

> > Don't know
> > how much cheaper it'd be to hire work out of India
> > than the US though... I hear salaries are 20-30%
> > lower due to the difference.

I'd be surprised if they're as high as 30% of US rates.

> My point here being that the cost isn't THAT much
> lower (in USD), and given we have differences like
> that from region to region in the US, I can't see that
> much of a markdown by turning to India (or any other
> country of similar dollar exchange).

A quick check of the World Bank's tables finds this
ghastly URL:
http://www.google.ca/search?q=cache:-xNS-Sh4psoC:www.worldbank.org/data/databytopic/GNPPC.pdf+per+capita+GNP+site:worldbank.org&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

That gives GNP per capita for 2000. $34,100 for the US,
$450 for India.

Even allowing for the fact that an India tech writer is
an educated English speaker, almost certainly with an
income far above the average, they're still going to
be way below US salary costs.

Other costs, such as office space and support staff
are also likely much lower. On the other hand, some
costs like computers and Internet access might be
quite a bit higher.

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l