RE: Okay, let's knock this off RE: techwr-l Hourly vs Salaried

Subject: RE: Okay, let's knock this off RE: techwr-l Hourly vs Salaried
From: "Sean O'Donoghue-Hayes (EAA)" <Sean.O'Donoghue-Hayes -at- ericsson -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 10:32:28 +1000

Stop, look, think, reread, then send.

This whole pointless xenophobic line has been instituted by a one line
email, by Jill -dot- Johnson -at- programmernet who said:

"9/11 is not the problem why you are out of work. The real reason is this
country called India."

Now I can't recall much from Jill Johnson before, and I am extremely
disappointed with the both the attitudes and ideas that were used to support
what was quite obviously a comment trawling for exactly that kind of
xenophobic reaction.

Here in Australia, you know happy Kangaroos, Steve Irwin, and producer of
various tennis champions - along with many military personnel who have
fought and died alongside their American counterparts.

Now that we have the warm fuzzy images out of the way - let's look at the
issue of competition. Currently our actors and film makers, indeed our whole
film industry is under threat as the US guilds (I'll admit I am not sure
exactly which) is trying to get movies being made here to be paid at US
rates, with US conditions.

Now Australians enjoy a pretty good standard of living......and yet with our
dollar placed where it is against the American dollar, and our various
industrial practices - we cost in many cases 1/3 the cost of American
workers.

We are also more expensive than India, and hear how jobs are being lost to
India and other cheaper countries.

How do we keep jobs in the US and in Australia, indeed anywhere that the
cost of jobs is more expensive than somewhere else?

By doing a provable better job than the competition. If you can't it doesn't
matter if the cheaper labour is in Australia, Mexico, Arkansas, Ireland,
India, Washington or Alaska. The work will move.

It doesn't make anyone especially happy - but it happens.

regards and thanks,
Sean O'Donoghue-Hayes

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l