RE: craft vs. science

Subject: RE: craft vs. science
From: Phil Levy <PLevy -at- epion -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 17:15:59 -0400

It was I. Yes, I was using the term craft to imply something archaic.
However, since Dick brought up the basket weaving and the fact that the
weavers use their individual skill (i.e., craft) to judge the materials they
use, I see that there is a craft to certain things that tech writers do. Not
that the whole job of tech writing is a craft, but that some aspects of it
are, such as selecting good examples to use in the document.