Re: Popups in PDF

Subject: Re: Popups in PDF
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 08:19:35 -0400

Celine,

I think the closest you can come without a plugin is the note tool. You can place yellow stickies (actually, yellow is the default color but you can select other colors or even have different notes be different colors) anywhere on your PDF. You can save the file with the notes open or closed (showing icons). You can position both the open note box and the icon wherever you like. And people who have only the free reader can open, close, and move the notes as needed.

I believe Acrobat also supports Javascript, but I haven't worked with that and I don't know whether that would enable you to have popups.

Post your question to the Usenet newsgroup comp.text.pdf; you'll probably get a definitive answer there.

Dick

Celine Deguire wrote:

Hello

I'm looking for a way to create popups in a PDF when the reader mouses over
areas of the file. Does anyone know of such a tool that does not require the
reader to have a third party plug-in? I am currently using Acrobat 4.

I looked on the PDF zone website and Adobe's Acrobat third party plug-ins
references and all I found that seems to offer what I'm looking for is this
tool called Spiffy-pop. The problem with this tool is that the reader must
also have a plug-in with his Acrobat reader to view the pop-ups.

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l