RE: Back to the Dark Ages.

Subject: RE: Back to the Dark Ages.
From: "Sharon Burton-Hardin" <sharon -at- anthrobytes -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 10:28:09 -0700

I had a friend in college in the early days of personal laptop computers who
did not realize that you had to SAVE your documents, early and often. She
was working for the summer for a lawyer, inputting data and other stuff into
spreadsheets, etc.

After 5 days of inputting data and leaving the computer on at night, she
also kicked the plug out. She could not figure out where her work went. She
nearly killed herself and was frustrated with me because I could not get her
work back.

She saved a lot after that.

I had a prof who thought when he was done with WordPerfect, the best way to
close the program was to turn the computer off (this was DOS 3.3 days). He
could not understand why I had a fit the first time I saw him do that and
refused to believe this was a bad idea. Until the day his hard drive became
so corrupt, it would not boot at all. All his stuff was there and, of
course, not backed up. He, too, was upset I could not help him, unless he
was willing to pay me to do a sector by sector recovery with no assurance we
would get anything useful.

sharon

Sharon Burton-Hardin
CEO, Anthrobytes Consulting