ForeHelp Problem

Subject: ForeHelp Problem
From: "Parcell, Michelle" <Michelle_Parcell -at- G1 -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 20:25:19 -0400

Hello, all. I'm having a bizarre problem with some ForeHelp files. When I
try to open any of the DB (*.dba, *.dbb, etc.) or backup files from either
ForeHelp or Explorer, I sometimes get an error that says, "Cannot access
[file path and name] or one of its components. It may be read-only or in use
by another application." Or, sometimes, the Validate Databases dialog box
opens and what looks like a thousand errors fly by. The box closes without
me being able to read the messages, and I get an error message that says,
"[file path and name] is corrupt (or cannot be validated) and cannot be
edited." I un- and reinstalled ForeHelp and was able to open an old backup,
but still none of the others (which, of course, are far more current).

I don't know if this matters, but I have a new PC with Windows 2000. I
believe this is the first time I've used ForeHelp since I got the new PC (my
old hard drive was ghosted and then copied onto the new PC). FWIW, each of
my coworkers has gone through this same process and has not had these
problems. Fortunately, we're switching to RoboHelp, but in the meantime, I
need to get these files up and running for an upcoming release. Does anyone
know why this might be happening and if/how I can fix the problem so I can
open the files? I would be most appreciative of any help you can provide.

Please send any responses directly to me (and copy the group if you like,
but I'll be happy to summarize later), because I'm on digest and desperate
for an answer!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Michelle Parcell
Senior Technical Writer