Re: Project Manager Problems - Need Advice Please

Subject: Re: Project Manager Problems - Need Advice Please
From: "Melody Akins" <melodyakins -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 02:03:02 -0500

Hi, Anthony!

I'm not a project manager, so I feel qualified only to give an opinion on
the following:

----------> You wrote:

What I am seeing is that they really
need the manual, like my work, but have no idea what
they should expect even though I have given them an
initial outline, a vision, and an expanded diagram on
the internet architecture.

----------> My comment:

It seems to me that you have a good grasp of what your client requires. If
I were you, I'd reiterate the vision; stick to your outline, using the main
points as opportunities to underscore your milestones; and modularize and
annotate your internet architecture diagram, with the goal of _showing_ them
(on whatever level their brains are at) the various IA interactions, sort of
like a flow-of-control thing. I have to stop here. I'm getting in over my
head.

[...]

----------> You said:

My fear is that if these checkups are too frequent
> they will not be pleased with my output given that one
> can spend many hours in a week researching individual
> details and this will not show up as writing or
> diagraming in the draft necessarily. I've already
> tried to handle the problem by documenting my time in
> detail and filing a separate weekly progress report
> every Friday. They still seem to be wanting more.

----------> My comment:

IMO, you're on top of the project, ahead of the curve, and on your way to
sainthood! I wish I were as well organized! For what it's worth, if you
think they might "be wanting more," the best thing to do is to ask them--in
as simple and direct a way as possible--if you're at a place where they can
"sign off on" what you've presented so far, and offer them a form to fill
out with little check boxes by the various items...? (It seems like chaotic
situations are often made less so when a minimum of structure is imposed...)

You are doing a marvelous job, and they don't deserve you!

Melody

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l