Contributing to Open Source (was Re: Re(2): Anyone familiar with"aspforums"?)

Subject: Contributing to Open Source (was Re: Re(2): Anyone familiar with"aspforums"?)
From: Megan Golding <mgolding -at- secureworks -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: 14 Jun 2002 09:37:32 -0400

On Thu, 2002-06-13 at 16:10, Kevin Christy wrote:
[snip survey questions - i have nothing new to add that Bruce hasn't
already said better]

> For myself, I've been moving more of what I do over to Linux, and I
> think it's fair to say that while some of the documentation is
> quite good, some is not so good, and some is frankly non-existent.
> There appears to be plenty of room for techwriters who want to
> contribute.

There is so much room in the open source community for tech writers, I
daresay that a skilled writer can rival a programmer for "importance" to
these projects.

My favorite project these days is The Linux Documentation Project
(www.tldp.org). Check them out. Join their mailing lists. Please. In the
last month, I saw a plea go out for document reviewers. What a great
place to start!

The beauty of TLDP is that their documents are very practical and a good
number of them are aimed at beginners. That means even if you're new to
open source and Linux that you can get a foot in the door very easily.

If TLDP isn't interesting to you, visit the project site for Apache (the
web's most popular web server; www.apache.org), GNOME (a desktop;
www.gnome.org), or MySQL (a database; www.mysql.org). There are lots of
other projects...these are just examples. I'm sure all of them could use
writers.

I see the topic crop up here again and again -- how do I get into
technical writing? My answer? Visit www.tldp.org and volunteer. All you
need is a computer, internet connection, and desire to learn. How
beautiful is that?

Meg

--

Megan Golding (mgolding -at- secureworks -dot- net)
SecureWorks, Inc.

Make your life a mission - not an intermission.
-- Arnold Glasgow

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l