Re: Page ranges in indexes: Do you use them?

Subject: Re: Page ranges in indexes: Do you use them?
From: "Jo Baer" <jbaer -at- tcfbank -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 15:55:31 -0500

Salan Sinclair wrote: (in brief)

> Do you use page ranges in indexes?

We use some page ranges in our indexes, but not a lot. If the discussion of the topic starts on one page and continues
uninterrupted, we don't use a page range. If the topic covers several pages, and is the main focus of those pages, but there
are other topics interspersed, we use a page range. We use a bold page number to denote a main entry for a topic.

The reasoning behind this is that if a topic is treated continuously, the reader will be able to detect that. If a number of
pages focus on one topic, but with others interspersed, the reader may well think that the discussion has ended as soon as
another topic is introduced.

Jo
--
Jo Baer
Senior Technical Writer

What to do in case of emergency:
1. Pick up your hat.
2. Grab your coat.
3. Leave your worries on the doorstep.
4. Direct your feet to the sunny side of the street.

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l