Re: Release notes: term for bugs

Subject: Re: Release notes: term for bugs
From: Sean Hower <hokumhome -at- freehomepage -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 12:45:20 -0700 (PDT)

Sandy Harris provided this quote:
" To those accustomed to the precise, structured methods
" of conventional system development, exploratory
" development techniques may seem messy, inelegant, and
" unsatisfying. But it's a question of congruence:
" precision and inflexibility may be just as dysfunctional
" in novel, uncertain situations as sloppiness and
" vacillation are in familiar, well-defined ones. Those
" who admire the massive, rigid bone structures of
" dinosaurs should remember that jellyfish still enjoy
" their very secure ecological niche.

That's a good point, and I can see the validity in it, especially if you're just starting out on something. I've done this exact thing with my own web site, and with prototypes for online help projects.

BUT, the company I'm thinking of was already on V4 of its software. The product had been around for about 3 years or so, and they still didn't have any specs. We're not talking about a simple product here either. I suppose it comes down to having a balance between specs that guide the developers, but don't hinder their creativity.....sort of like style guides for tech writers!!! :-)

Sean Hower - tech writer
http://hokum.freehomepage.com

"Whatever you do, do NOT let your editorial decisions be made by the squiggly spell-checking lines in Word!" ~Keith Cronin, Techwr-l irritant ;-)

Create your own web site for FREE at http://www.freehomepage.com

Promote your group and strengthen ties to your members with email -at- yourgroup -dot- org by Everyone.net http://www.everyone.net/?btn=tag

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l