Re: Help! Suddenly I'm a new RPF/proposal writer

Subject: Re: Help! Suddenly I'm a new RPF/proposal writer
From: Kat Nagel <mlists -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 13:29:57 -0400

At 2:38 PM -0400 6/7/02, Dick Schellens wrote:

Hi all,
I've just been promoted (?) to be the RFP writer. Any advice?

The first time I had to write an RFP, I got a couple of good books on proposal writing and worked backwards from there. <grin> "Okay, the proposal should include XXX. Now, how do I structure the RFP to make sure the vendors include XXX in their proposals." I also got copies of other RFPs the company had generated over the last 2 years, and and the proposals that had been submitted in response to those RFPs. Then, I asked the account reps and project managers what problems they had with those proposals, and how the RFPs should have been written to prevent those problems. Got LOADS of good ideas that way!

The trickiest part of the whole process is to be specific enough so that you get what you really need without making the project 'box' so restrictive that you prevent the vendors from coming up with creative alternatives.

Good luck!
--
Kat Nagel
Owner, MasterWork Consulting Services