Re: Best way to "pitch" technical writing services

Subject: Re: Best way to "pitch" technical writing services
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 12:16:29 -0700 (PDT)

--- Ruby Isaacs <ruby -at- quendi -dot- ca> wrote:

> In your opinion, what is the best way to "pitch" technical writing services
> to a undecisive client?

How about the non-pitch pitch? <g>

Seriously, given your description of the client, I would consider an approach
where I wanted to find out more about what the client's needs are. You know why
one writer was let go. That suggests they want someone who will participate
fully, asking questions and developing ideas along with documentation. I can't
help wonder what caused them to let the other one go. If you don't know, I
would suggest finding out.

More importantly, it may be that the client needs help focusing on what their
real needs are. You could ask the kind of pointed questions you would ask of
anyone when you are trying to define the scope of any project or job. You want
to find out just what they are sure about and what is unclear. What you may
want to do is first help them define their project/documentation needs (for a
fee, of course). THEN, if they're satisfied with your work, you could talk to
them about the actual documentation project.

Just some ideas while waiting for the rains to come. (Singing "Row, row, row
your boat, gently down the stream....")

=====
Tom Murrell
mailto:tmurrell -at- columbus -dot- rr -dot- com
Personal Web Page - http://home.columbus.rr.com/murrell/index.html Last Updated 06/10/02
--Small change can sometimes be found under seat cushions. (Lazarus Long/Robert A. Heinlein)--

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l