RE: Canadian English (WAS: Writing for a particular audience)

Subject: RE: Canadian English (WAS: Writing for a particular audience)
From: "Suzanne Townsend" <suzyt -at- hfx -dot- eastlink -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 08:14:08 -0300

POINT RE: someone who wrote: Just last week my new (English) manager (in
London) made the faux pas of telling me that it must be a bit of a pain in
the ass to convert from
American to British English!!!!

Why is this a faux pas? It *IS* a pain to convert from American to British
English! And a pain to read Imperial-to-metric conversions (usually in
parentheses) in those international magazines.
==========
POINT RE: He had no clue that Canadians have their own style and rules for
spelling!!!

In a way, you are both right. Canadians use a mixture of British and
American spellings. Each style guide is different. You can read "Editing
Canadian English" for lots more on the subject.
POINT RE someone who wrote: Based on that, shouldn't you guys come up with a
more phonetically correct way to spell "out" and "about"? ... next time i'm
oot and aboot i'll give it some more thought, eh?

My response: Yes, rightly you ought to, since in the Maritimes, these are
pronounced "oat" and "aboat" ...!

A nit-picking Yankee in Canada,
--Suzanne

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l