Re: New tool wars! WAS: Pinsky poem in the Atlantic "Jar of Pens"

Subject: Re: New tool wars! WAS: Pinsky poem in the Atlantic "Jar of Pens"
From: Brad Jensen <brad -at- elstore -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 12:22:08 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Hall" <dhall -at- san-carlos -dot- rms -dot- slb -dot- com>

> We have one here, but we've had a lot of trouble
> with it...
>
> It gets out of calibration, so the screen output is
> skewed, and the software doesn't always track every
> pen mark - which means you have to watch the monitor
> to be sure that it's drawing what you're writing.
> There's also a limit to the area it will track.

If you are talking about a Mimio, I am really surprised - I've
used it on all sorts of boards and had a great experience with it.

Mine tracks all of a 4 by 8 foot board, but I usually only use 6
feet of width to make the results look better on a pc screen's
aspect ratio.

you ight try changing the batteries inthe markers, and you do have
to remember to press the marker against the board to turn on the
tracking.

> When it was new, it worked great...

you might also want to clean the lenses with mild detergent or
soap and water.

> I'm always amused when someone puts the pens back in
> the wrong "holders" and they're writing on the board
> in green, but the monitor shows red. :-)
>
> I've used some whiteboard-photo cleanup software,
> called (obviously enough) Whiteboard Photo. It
> worked OK - I especially liked that it would adjust
> for perspective.
>
> Dan
>
> Carl Nuckols wrote:
>
> I've not used it myself, but I attended a weeklong
> planning session where the facilitator used it \
> with a whiteboard. It really seems to work well.
> I have no idea what it costs, but anything that
> cool must be expensive.

Mine cost about $500, as I remember, and I was so excited about it
actually went into the anit-business Staples store to buy it.

Brad Jensen

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l