re: MA in English or engineering classes?

Subject: re: MA in English or engineering classes?
From: Sean Hower <hokumhome -at- freehomepage -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 08:17:25 -0700 (PDT)

If you're out to learn for education sake, then yeah, I'd say get a higher degree. But if you're just wanting to increase your technical writing skills, why spend the time and energy and stress of getting a higher degree in English?

I think there is definitely a difference between "for yourself" and "for your job" education. It's a choice we all have to make. I have to learn about stuff I don't really care about every day, I mean, honestly I could care less about GASB34 but I had to learn about it and its implementation. It's part of life though.

But then again, if you're a technical writer and you don't care about technical "stuff" then maybe you're in the wrong field. Because when it comes down to it, IMHO, picking up tech skills doubles as both "for yourself" and "for your job" education. :-) It does for me at least.

You have a very good sentiment, about doing what's going to make you happier in the long run. Keeping your happiness in a state of instability is just a bad idea. And I agree with you. But sometimes we have to do something that we don't want to.

I guess my only point was that if the person was looking to just make themselves more marketable/valuable in technical writing, then picking up more tech skills seems like the logical choice because they already have what could be considered minimal requirements to land an entry level position in some places. If you're only making an issue between higher and minor degree, why not just go for a Masters in Engineering. That would open many more doors to higher paying jobs than a masters in English (I'm guessing here.)

Sean Hower

technical writer
http://hokum.freehomepage.com

Create your own web site for FREE at http://www.freehomepage.com