re: Motivation - Suggestions?

Subject: re: Motivation - Suggestions?
From: Sean Hower <hokumhome -at- freehomepage -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 08:56:29 -0700 (PDT)

There are times when I'm bored out of my mind. We use a LOT of hot-spotted graphics, which must be updated on a far-to-regular basis every time the software changes (new tab, new field, new name, blah blah blah). That's when my boredom really hits because the work becomes mindless.

To fight those times, I take walks during lunch or when I'm on a break. I peruse CNN for a couple of minutes to get some news. I also hit a number of sites devoted to technical writing, to keep up with what's going on in the industry (I feel the least guilty about doing that. It's actually work related). I chat with my coworkers for a couple of minutes. I switch to a different project (I typically have around 5 or 6 projects going at one time). Anything to get my mind out of the fog so I can get back to work with clear vision (literally) and a more alert state of mind. :-)

As for after work, I try to go for walks, indulge in some mindless DVD watching. Simpsons in particular gets me out of a funk. I cook. I play with the kids. I stare blankly at the ceiling until I can see something entertaining (this is made particularly easy after a few cape cods). If I'm in a particularly aggressive funk, I play Quake or Half-Life....blowing stuff up always blows off some steam. ;-) If I'm craving some sort of mental stimulation, I'll read, or play Civilization (after all, tracking the progress of a few dozen cities while gearing up for war with the Romans and Babylonians takes some thought....). Baths chill me out. And, of course, whenever possible, I spend "alone time" with my wife. That's my favorite. :-)

Mmmm, perhaps I shared too much.......

Hope these suggestions help.

Sean Hower

technical writer