Re: MA in English or engineering classes?

Subject: Re: MA in English or engineering classes?
From: "Denise Azis" <easysys -at- rcn -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 21:27:03 -0400

Hi Christie,

I suspect that you may receive as many different opinions on this topic as
there are members of this list. Let me start off by saying that I believe
that your pursuit of a grad certificate in Tech Writing is an excellent
idea -- it will certainly add value to your knowledge and your resume.

I do not wish to add more confusion to the mix, but have you thought about a
degree in Psychology? Please don't gasp at the thought (ha), but that's
what I have. The Psychology degree helps me immensely, not just with the
writing and user interface parts of my job, but also when dealing with other
team members, particularly the subject matter experts and developers.

I have found that different employers have different requirements regarding
an applicant's skills and education, and there are different flavors of tech
writers with varieties of skills, preferences, and education. Your email
said:
"... when I look through tech writing job postings, almost
> everything requires a strong scientific background or knowledge of
> engineering/computing principles."
The above qualities are very vague. The word "scientific" can include many
disciplines from biology to astrophysics to biotech to infinity. The words
"engineering/computer principles" are very subjective and do not specify the
level of expertise required. In some cases, the employers might not know
what they need, so it is up to us as tech writers to show them what they
need and explain how we can do it for them (hmmmm, perhaps a Marketing
degree?). Actually, Marketing classes helped me understand human
perceptions vs. reality, categorizing and presenting data, streamlining
information, and other useful stuff -- such as selling myself to employers.

For many employers, the bottom line is whether or not the applicant can get
the job done regardless of how many degrees he or she has. I know people
who have attended school for so long that they have a difficult time
performing in the hard knocks world of capitalism -- some people suffer from
"paralysis by analysis."

Perhaps after you complete your Tech Writing Certificate, you might not need
an additional degree. You could assess your skills to determine if you
should learn some new tools or attend some tech writing seminars that would
also help you network with others in the field.

It might help if you prepare a portfolio (online and printed copy)
containing an assortment of examples of your finest work. You know the old
adage that a picture is worth a thousand words. Well, a portfolio can show
potential employers what you have accomplished. The examples in your
portfolio might match what they need, but they might be unable to express it
beyond words such as "knowledge of engineering/computing principles." Since
you are a recent graduate, you might not have enough examples of your work
from the working world, so maybe you can use some good stuff that you did in
school or you can create some of your own projects.

Do you plan to write for a very technical audience or for people who use
systems to perform their non-tech jobs or for some other group entirely?
Your answer to this question could help you decide what to pursue.

As for myself, I enjoy writing for non-tech users who use applications to
perform their own work. I have already made the decision not to become too
technical because I do not want to lose my "user instincts" because those
instincts make all the difference in the world. For me as a tech writer,
one skill that I value highly is the ability to put myself in the users'
shoes (oh no, is there a degree in Compassion too?) For example, I try to
anticipate what the users need to do their jobs. I try to expand my vision
beyond the computer screen and think about the users' work environments, how
to present difficult aspects of the system, how the users correspond their
paperwork with the computer, their workflow process and deadlines, etc.

So, there's one person's opinion. I hope it opened up other possibilities
that might make sense to you.
Good Luck in whatever you decide. It's refreshing to hear someone so
dedicated to the task -- go for it!

Create a Wonderful Day,
Denise Azis
easysys -at- rcn -dot- com