RE: Need tips on reducing Word file size

Subject: RE: Need tips on reducing Word file size
From: Kim Roper <kim -dot- roper -at- vitana -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 13:41:01 -0400

Keith Cronin observed:

> This may be true, BUT...
>
> I've found that in the zany, wacky world of Word, the change
> in a Word doc's
> file size is not always directly related to the size of the
> graphic you
> insert, but also to the TYPE of graphic you insert.

DO tell.

Somewhat tangential, but not quite:

A friend utterly constipated an eight-page Word document, ballooning it to
14 MB by embedding PowerPoint slides. The slides contained a combination of
MS graphic objects and bitmaps. And the images had to be kept editable.
Ugh.

After much trial and error, we discovered that exporting the slides as WMF
from PowerPoint did the trick. Tie in: Some of the WMF files were *huge*
(like, up to 4.3 MB *each*). However, after everything was imported into
Word, the final document size was just over 2 MB. Yes, it was less than half
the size of the largest imported graphic.

Go figure.

Cheers ... Kim
kim.roper at vitana.com
http://www.pixelink.com/