CHAT: RE: Motivation - Update

Subject: CHAT: RE: Motivation - Update
From: Price Lisa - IL <PRICEL -at- tusc -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 09:04:00 -0500

I've been on plenty of projects that either seemed to have lost focus, or
put me in a position of great responsibility and no power (and no voice).
In these situations, I simply did whatever was asked of me, and whatever was
in front of me, even if I did the exact same thing the day before. It was
never about money, for me, it was about keeping my head down so whoever had
cluster power (the power to cluster or uncluster a situation) didn't see me
when wielding his or her mighty gaze.

Scope creep is rampant in the consulting world, and one of the unfortunate
fallouts is a great deal of "detail" work, sometimes completely unrelated to
technical writing, editing, or the project itself. While it is frustrating
to feel you have no control or power, it is comforting to me to know that
the sooner I get whatever scut work I'm assigned done, the sooner I can
return to what fuels my writing and/or editing passion.

And at the end of the day, I go home and run with my dog until we're both,
well, dog tired.

Lisa