Re: Motivation - Update

Subject: Re: Motivation - Update
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 06:12:12 -0600

Tamara wrote:

>I thought this list was to help people, not knock them down.

Tamara-

I'll go out on a limb, and make the assumption that I'm one of those whose
posts you considered rude. Re-reading my post, the only thing I said that
might be considered rude was my sig line, which I've used before. I do
feel tech writers whine a lot; it's not just you. The Dilbert character
"Tina the Techwriter" exists for a reason.

As far as being rude, I must say - I found your initial post offensive and
insensitive. If you read this List frequently, and/or have any awareness
of the current job market, you know that a LOT of highly qualified tech
writers are out of work, many for months at a time. Several have openly
complained to this List about the depression they are experiencing from
this unexpected upheaval in their profession.

With that in mind, to open your post by making it clear that you found the
fact that your job was being extended to be somewhat of a nuisance was -
in my opinion - in poor taste. Your post continued with a self-satisfied
tone about all the things you do to keep the boredom of your tedious job
from overwhelming you; a laudable list of accomplishments indeed. THEN you
finally ask for help in alleviating the boredom of continued employment,
after rubbing people's faces in your good fortune. Again, that's just my
opinion, but I'm being honest about the impression your post made.

Your question itself was valid. We all probably get bored at work from
time to time, and it's likely that by polling this List, you'll get
suggestions for alleviating boredom that might otherwise not have occurred
to you.

My retrospective suggestion is that you might have cut to the chase and
simply asked your question. You could have just as easily asked "What do
you do when your job becomes less challenging and/or a little boring?"
without needing to extrapolate on WHY you were bored.

If this board is indeed about helping people, I submit that the tone of
your initial post did not seem geared at doing so.

If my post offended you, I'm sorry. But if it just woke you up a little, I
do not.

Respectfully,

Keith Cronin

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l