Final documentation page break formatting?

Subject: Final documentation page break formatting?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 15:47:06 -0400

Justin Ressler wonders: <<How do I prevent/remedy awkward page breaks, such
as Table Header rows starting on one page (then repeated) on the following
page when I deliver my final documentation. Is it a simple as (and as
painful as) inserting hard returns to force the spacing?>>

You didn't specify which software you're using, so some general advice that
you can port anywhere:

In general, you should be proofreading your final layout to make sure
everything works (automation is rarely perfect), and you'll spot any
problems at that time. You can stop the majority of bad breaks by editing
the properties of the various styles you use; there's almost always a
paragraph-level property called "keep with next" (e.g., so a heading never
detaches from the following paragraph) or "widow and orphan control" (so
that a paragraph never has less than the specified minimum number of lines).

Where you need to force a page break manually, use the software's "insert
page break" function rather than a series of carriage returns; the keyboard
shortcut is often Control-Return, but sometimes you need to hunt for this
command under the Insert menu.

580 boul. St-Jean
Pointe-Claire, Que., H9R 3J9 Canada
"User's advocate" online monthly at

"With Linux, customers end up being in the operating systems business,
managing software updates and security patches while making sure the
multitude of software packages don't conflict with each other."--Microsoft
spokesperson in a News.com article

"And just how would that be different from Windows?"--Adam Engst, TidBITS

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l