Re: Online Help Queries

Subject: Re: Online Help Queries
From: John Cornellier <tw -at- cornellier -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2002 15:23:43 +0200

>1. The application has user entry forms to accept some data. In the online
>help, do you refer to the data entry form as a form or a window?

It's better not to talk too much about the UI (User Interface) itself. The users don't care about the UI - they just want to get stuff done. Better
to say "To create a new user, click Create, fill in the fields marked in red, then click OK."

>Click Button to open the data form or data window?

If the UI's any good it shouldn't be necessary to talk explicitely about it much. It should be intuitive. But if it's not, check what the UI
elements are called in the operating system where your application is running. Or check what they're called in the software development enviroment.
Usually a window has its own menu items, and everything else is a dialog box.

>2. This data entry form has field which already has field level help. Now in
>the online help that I am developing, do I get into details as to what has
>to be entered in what field or I just list the inputs that the user must
>enter in that form.

Which inputs are obligatory should be obvious from the UI.

>For example:
>The form has Name, Address etc.

Don't bother with the descriptive stuff. Users can see it on screen anyway. Rather, you should try to provide in your help info that is too complex
or arcane or rarely used to have a place in the actual UI. E.g. maximum lengths for data fields, use of non ASCII characters, etc. You're not
writing a specification or a review or some kind of description. Users don't read the help for fun. They read it because they have a specific
problem and they need a solution - quickly.

>If I place the cursor on the Name text box, the application displays a
>message saying whose name(the merchant name, assistant's name) has to be
>entered.
>Do I in my help file also mention that what name has to entered and it's
>details?

See above.

>Currently, I am listing the inputs that the user has to give as a bulleted
>list
>Eg:
>
>The inputs that you have to enter here are:
>Name
>Address

Descriptive. Unecessary. See above.

Hope this helps