Re: Re(2): scanners

Subject: Re: Re(2): scanners
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2002 07:56:04 -0700 (PDT)

Jan...at my last gig, I had several conversatins with an IT support
supv and I asked a similar question. One of the responses was that
they aren't there to keep the people or departments working
well...they are there to keep the network workiing well...what you do
with it is up to you as long as it doesn't interfere with what they
do.

When they report to management, they don't report on user
productivity... they report on uptime, downtime, and outages.

This was also the approach of a network manager who happen to sit
next to me several gigs ago at Western Union.

--- Jan Henning <henning -at- r-l -dot- de> wrote:

> >The drive is to keep all workstations as close to identical as
> possible, so
> >that when problems are encountered, there are fewer variables for
> fixing
> >them. He said that putting in a SCSI card changes the hardware,
> IRQ's,
> >drivers, etc. When we update the OS or software, there could be
> conflicts
> >with .dll's. To avoid this, he would keep a workstation with a
> SCSI card off of the SMS network.
>
> Isn't that the wrong way round? I mean, the IT department is
> supposed to
> help the other departments to work better. But this sounds a lot
> like the
> other departments having to adapt to the needs of the IT
> department. Is the tail starting to wag the dog?

=====
John Posada, Senior Technical Writer
"I'm not flying...I'm falling with style"
---Buzz Lightyear
http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l