Re: question about contracting w/o agencies

Subject: Re: question about contracting w/o agencies
From: "Steve Arrants" <stephena -at- compbear -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 10:08:10 -0700

<dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com> writes:

> Steve Arrants wrote:
> >
> > ...since you are already working and have health insurance through your
> > employer, you can continue the coverage through COBRA.
>
> Maybe they've changed the rules, but I don't think COBRA is available to
people who quit or are fired "with cause"--only for those who are laid off
or "RIF-ed."

Completely incorrect. COBRA coverage can only be denied if an employee is
fired for "gross misconduct"

> > The rate you will
> > pay is the same rate the company pays per employee plus a percentage
(8%?)
> > for "administrative costs).
>
> There are several levels or types of COBRA coverage. Some don't include
an admin fee at all, but I know of one where the admin fee is an additional
$300/month--jacking up the monthly premium from about $800 to about $1100!

Well, no. There is the federally mandated COBRA, and some states, such as
California, have their own COBRA-type provisions There may be several
levels of benefits. You can choose to continue your entire health package
(medical, dental, vision) or pick the ones you want. Payments cannot be
more than 102% of the cost to the plan, so if it costs your employer
$100/month for your coverage, you can't be charged more than $102. The only
times the cost can be higher is if the carrier raises rates for all
employees in the plan OR if you are exercising the disability provisions of
cobra.
If the plan you know of adds a $300 admin fee, they are in violation of the
law.

Information on COBRA is at http://www.dol.gov/pwba/pubs/cobrafs.htm and I'd
urge anonymous to also check his/her state's information. Many states also
have legal provisions that apply when COBRA doesn't.

steve arrants
http://www.compbear.com Certified Cruelty Free
"The dream was marvelous, but the terror was great.
We must treasure the dream, whatever the terror."
---Gilgamesh

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l