Re: scanners

Subject: Re: scanners
From: "Gregory Sweet" <Gsweet -at- cdphp -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 11:22:27 -0400

I've not actually used one of these adapters but if I understand what I've read correctly you will take a performance hit using this type of adapter. Also the drivers are handled through software provided with the adpater. Check out <http://www.mozillaquest.com/Hardware/Belkin/Belkin-SCSI-USB_story01.html> for example. BTW I have a CDRW and a SCSI zip drive and am not excluded from the SMS here.

It seems to me that if you need to scan 10,000+ images you're on pretty strong footing to demand the equipment you want. Aside from the savings on equipment, you gain a 95% savings on labor cost simply by having the SCSI equipment. Follow the management rabbit here (all scenarios assume that your estimated scan times are accurate, I do nothing but scan all day every until all images are scanned, no time for setting up the scanner, equipment failures, swoping images on the platen, all images scan correctly on the first try, etc. and I make $24 an hour)

USB: 10,000 images at 42 sec an image = 116 hours = $2,784
SCSI: 10,000 images at 2 sec an image = 5.5 hours = $133 (a 95% savings, time and labor cost, over USB scanning)

I'd escalate this to a manger with this information. I can't really any company wanting to spend 100% more on equipment and 95% more on time and labor just so IT doesn't have to deal with another desktop configuration.

Good luck.

-Greg

Lajerid - Creeaght - Diarail

>>> "Lisa Bronson" <Lisa -dot- Bronson -at- ipaper -dot- com> 05/31/02 10:24AM >>>

* If we use a SCSI to USB adapter, will that overcome the problem of
needing to exclude the workstation on the SMS network? Is this an
adaptation of the physical connection only, or will the drivers used be
USB, as well? And ultimately, will the workstation still need to be
excluded from SMS and updated manually?

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l