Recent and relevant

Subject: Recent and relevant
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 09:21:37 -0400

Given how much I read, I should probably do this more often... Here are a
couple recent resources that techwhirlers should find useful:

http://www.humanfactors.com/library/may02.asp
Bob Bailey, one of the principals of Human Factors International, is
kinda like Jakob Neilsen, only with humility and a willingness to support
his opinion with research, including the research of others. Or think of it
this way: he's a PhD version of Jared Spool (another of my favorite
authors). The HFI newsletter is free and always well written, and I've never
received any spam that I'm aware of due to signing on. The current issue is
about interface design, a recent techwr-l topic.

The May 2002 issue of STC's _Technical Communication_
Many techwhirlers consider this journal too formal and academic to
be relevant to techwhirlers, and back about 10 years ago, they might have
had a case. Today, there's still some moderately stuffy academic-speak, but
since George Hayhoe's tenure, there have also been a good number of
"practical" articles. Case in point: the May issue has a special section
(several articles) on freelancing, something of obvious interest to
particularly wonderful for anyone contemplating the freelance life: Stephen
Poe's "Technical communication consulting as a business" (p. 171-180). But
the others look pretty useful too.

580 boul. St-Jean
Pointe-Claire, Que., H9R 3J9 Canada
"User's advocate" online monthly at
"By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is
noblest; second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third, by experience,
which is the bitterest."--Confucius, philosopher and teacher (c. 551-478
BCE)

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l