RE: Need Your Opinions re Simplified English (Can I quote you?)

Subject: RE: Need Your Opinions re Simplified English (Can I quote you?)
From: David Farbey <David -dot- Farbey -at- lazysoft -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 10:28:51 +0100

Gary Clark wrote, in response to Ronald Brown's question:

>> Hi all,
>>
>> Do any of you have an opinion about using Simplified
>> or Controlled English?
>
>Sure do. Simplified English is for simpletons. It is offered up as a crutch
>and excuse for a failed education system (whether in the US or
>internationally). If any one told me I was required to use it I would
inform
>that person that he should go to hell immediately.

This is a very strange opinion.

To the best of my knowledge, the most widespread application of Simplified
English is the standard drawn up by the European Association of Aerospace
Industries (AECMA). (If anyone is interested, there are details at:
http://www.aecma.org/Publications.htm) This standard was first published in
1986.

By limiting the vocabulary and the syntax that may be used, Simplified
English seeks to remove as much ambiguity as it can from written
instructions in safety-critical situations.

I have never had to use this standard, but from anecdotal evidence it is not
as easy as it might seem.

David Farbey
mailto:david -dot- farbey -at- lazysoft -dot- com
Technical Writer
Lazy Software Ltd., UK
http://www.lazysoft.com
Phone: 01628-642314