Re: scanners

Subject: Re: scanners
From: "Lisa Bronson" <Lisa -dot- Bronson -at- ipaper -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 15:19:54 -0500

I talked to the IT Manager again, and found I had misunderstood what he had
said. He had told me that we are going to be using a System Management
Server (SMS) to send updates via the network to the workstations. That's
where the conflict could potentially come in. Unfortunately, I clumsily
interpreted that as a network conflict. :-)

The drive is to keep all workstations as close to identical as possible, so
that when problems are encountered, there are fewer variables for fixing
them. He said that putting in a SCSI card changes the hardware, IRQ's,
drivers, etc. When we update the OS or software, there could be conflicts
with .dll's. To avoid this, he would keep a workstation with a SCSI card
off of the SMS network. Then, all software and OS updates would have to be
done manually on that workstation. This is what he is ultimately trying to
avoid.

I learn something new every day! ;-)

Lisa B.

"BurlEv"
<burlev -at- hotmai To: "Lisa Bronson" <Lisa -dot- Bronson -at- ipaper -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L"
l.com> <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
cc:
05/30/2002 Subject: Re: scanners
03:00 PM
Please respond
to "BurlEv"

I think your best bet would be to work with Epson to figure out what your
IT
Manager means by "network conflicts with its SCSI connection"

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l