Re: What Are the Main Problems You Have with MS Word?

Subject: Re: What Are the Main Problems You Have with MS Word?
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 08:39:56 -0600

Jessica wrote:

> Word is chapter-based, which means (unless you have figured out those
> mercurial Section breaks and want to risk a 300-page Word document with
> graphics) each chapter has to be PDF'ed separately and the book needs to be
> lassoed together in Adobe afterwards.

The key phrase in your post is "...unless you have figured out..."

With any software this powerful, there's lots of figuring out to be done.
Layers and clipping paths in Photoshop. Fills and Strokes in Illustrator.
Stories in PageMaker. Paragraph and Character styles in FrameMaker. For me
at least, none of this stuff was intuitive. I had to LEARN it.

With all due respect, it sounds like you simply haven't learned how to use
this aspect of Word. Sections are no big deal, once you learn how they
work, and a 300-page multichapter document is well within Word's
capabilities, and no biggie to convert into a single PDF.

Take twenty minutes. Learn how Sections work. Your quality of life will
improve, I guarantee it! :)

We always need to spend some time learning what the product can do,
without expecting it to act like other products. That last part is hard,
particularly if you're attached to some specific software that you're not
getting the chance to use.

Keith Cronin

Founder of WWAD (the foundation that asks, "What Would Andrew Do?")

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l