Re: What Are the Main Problems You Have with MS Word?

Subject: Re: What Are the Main Problems You Have with MS Word?
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 07:00:37 -0400

Jonathan,

There are too many versions of Word already. How about this, though: one version of Word with some installation switches, so an IT person can select the "general user" interface of the "professional user" interface? (Okay, it could be a registry entry or even an Options setting that the user could get to later, rather than requiring a reinstall.)

The reason I say this is that the real distinction is not between home and corporate users. The vast majority of corporate users are as amateurish as any home user. The real distinction is between people who map the word _document_ to a piece of paper with black squiggles on it and the people who map the word _document_ to a data structure that has, among its possible expressions, a two-dimensional representation consisting of a piece of paper with black squiggles on it. The latter group consists of a small subset of corporate users (and some home users, as well).

Dick

Jonathan West wrote:

I'm coming to the view that Word needs two versions of the user interface,
the "Home" and "Corporate" interface, where Home is configured to have all
the pretty automatic features that let a computer novice produce a
decent-looking but unstructured letter, and where Corporate uses more in the
way of styles & structure, and the auto features such as Click-to-type are
disabled.

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l