Re: What Are the Main Problems You Have with MS Word?

Subject: Re: What Are the Main Problems You Have with MS Word?
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 12:24:59 -0600

Bruce wrote:

> ... if the default settings need that much tinkering,
> that's a sure sign that they need to be changed. In most programs, you
> may want to change the measurements on rulers or on a grid, and not much
> more.

Good point. But Word does more (or tries to) than many other office apps,
which tend to be more specialized. There's a lot to Word (maybe too much),
and it's tough to take it all in.

The main problem I see is that people do not get the training they need to
get Word to do what they want it to to. One reason for this is that it's
possible for even neophytes to get immediate results with Word. So they
never bother to dig deeper.

Everybody I know who uses Frame or Robo spent some time TRAINING, whether
it was through self-study using aftermarket books, online tutorials, or
actual classes and seminars. In contrast, nobody I know has taken a Word
class, and only a scant few have bothered to buy a book or two about the
application.

While some of us on this list are aware of resources like Woody's site and
the Word list that Steve Hudson frequents, we are in the minority among
Word users.

Even among us, it's obvious from some of the posts in this thread that
many users have not taken the time to figure out how Word works, and
assume any difficulty they have is due to bugs in the system.

I found Frame hard to use at first, until I went through the Classroom in
a Book course, and spent an hour or so picking the brains of a Frame pro.
When in doubt, take some time to learn about the product you're using.

I'm no big Word fan. But it works. As do most tools, if you know how to
use them.

Keith Cronin

Sports. The opposite of reading.

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l