Re: What Are the Main Problems You Have with MS Word?

Subject: Re: What Are the Main Problems You Have with MS Word?
From: "Dick Margulis " <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 11:23:05 -0400

"Gary Clark" <Gary -at- wtw -dot- org> wrote:

> Therefore, the BIGGEST
>problem with Word is the fact that so many companies DEMAND that it be used
>for creating technical manuals.

I believe this stems from a misunderstanding on the part of many managers--a misunderstanding that Microsoft does nothing to clear up.

Many companies (maybe most) have adopted MS Office as their standard desktop application suite in response to pricing pressure from MS. This has been an effective way for MS to squeeze out their competitors in the office suite space.

What the companies have to do in order to get the low (??) price is assure Microsoft that Office is installed on every desktop.

AFAIK there is nothing in the agreement that says an individual user cannot ALSO have other, specialized, applications to accomplish assigned tasks. However, many managers, learning that MS Office is the "corporate standard" office suite, misinterpret this to mean they cannot allow you to have anything else.

When I have made this argument to managers, it has usually been well received, and I've always been able to get the software I needed to get my job done (budget permitting).

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l