ADMIN: About spam

Subject: ADMIN: About spam
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 20:36:01 -0600 (MDT)

All,
I goofed on the address on this...then
was out of town for the weekend. Do not continue
these discussions on the list.
Eric

PV,
We (TECHWR-L/Raycomm) do not sell, distribute, or allow
anyone to get information on subscribers to any lists we
host or run. We're reasonably confident in the security
measures that we have in place--we have no reason to believe
that they've been breached, and, at the least, there are
MANY easier ways for spammers to get email addresses than
attempting to hack our site.

Subscribers cannot get the subscriber list under any
circumstances.

If someone's posted to TECHWR-L, it's certainly possible
that a "spider" could have lifted your address from the
Usenet mirror. At one time, I'd have said
that was possible through the TECHWR-L archives too,
but we've put some special filters in place to deny
some 100 different web crawling software programs access
to the TECHWR-L site. It's technically possible, but
fairly unlikely, that a spammer spider crawled the
site recently.

If you have some tangible reason to believe that there's
a connection between TECHWR-L/Raycomm and spam, please
let us know. The two data points of 1) subscribing to
enough of a causal relationship for us to have something
to go on. Given that your problem is from an ISP with a
lengthy history of allowing addresses to become available
to spammers, it's actually less than a relationship.
If you get spam with headers that reliably
indicate that the spam came through a raycomm.com server,
though, we'd be able to take action on that, or if
there is other information indicating that your address
came from TECHWR-L, we can take action.
(E.g., if you get spam about Frame
training, we'd see a relationship as quite possible there.
Spam about porn, however, is so common that it's impossible
and illogical to infer a connection.)

Have you spoken with the HotMail staff about this issue?
A number of interesting studies have been done at
major computer magazines in which they sign up for a
new account and promptly get spam, even without using it.
That would tend to corroborate our experience as well.
See http://www.cauce.org/tales/5.shtml

Let us know if you have other questions,
Eric

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l