Re: placing screengrabs in html help

Subject: Re: placing screengrabs in html help
From: Mike Stockman <mstockman -at- mac -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 14:56:13 -0400

On 05/27/2002 10:56 AM, Elizabeth OShea (Elizabeth -dot- OShea -at- emergesmart -dot- com)
wrote:

>I'm working on an html help file. Do you suggest putting illustrative screen
>grabs of interface elements before the text that explains the element, or
>after the text that explains the element?

Given that most online help is intended to be on the screen at the same
time as the software being described, I'd question the need for screen
grabs in online help at all.

I'd suggest dumping them in favor of more examples of how the user might
use the screens in question. The world needs more examples.

If you insist on including screen grabs, place them in between the
explanation, as in "Click the Reward button to dispense a food pellet.
When you do, a message similar to the following appears asking you to
confirm your choice: <screen grab here> Click Yup, Eat Now to get a food
pellet, or click I'll Run the Maze First to cancel."

Trapped in a lab experiment called a "cubicle,"
Mike

mstockman -at- aol -dot- com AOL Instant Messenger: MStockman

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l