Re: Adobe Acrobat-Learning and Upgrading]

Subject: Re: Adobe Acrobat-Learning and Upgrading]
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 10:52:16 -0400

Robert,

First, you ask about version. Please do not ship PDFs made with Acrobat
4.0. If you, in fact, have 4.05 (also called 4.0.6, for obscure
reasons), then you can go ahead and use it. If not, then check the Adobe
site to see if the patch is still available (I somehow doubt it). If it
is not available, I strongly suggest you upgrade to Acrobat 5 (latest
patch, which I think is 5.05).

Second, when you open Distiller, there is a menu item called Job
Options. Within that, there are several tabs, one of which deals with
image compression. The default settings are what cause the blurred
screen shots. What you want to do is turn off all lossy compression
(JPEG) and use only lossless compression (LZW or zip). This will give
you screen shots that look the same in the PDF as they do when printed
directly from Word.

Third, do not misunderstand what it means to "convert" a document to
PDF. You are actually just printing the document to PDF; you are not
converting it to anything. (You might convert a Word doc to a FrameMaker
doc, for example; and at some point you might convert it back. But PDF
is not a document creation/editing/maintenance medium; it is only an
output medium. Converting back from PDF to Word is somewhere between
painful and impossible.) You need to retain the original Word file for
any future maintenance and then reprint to PDF when you want to release
the revised version.

HTH,

Dick

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l