Re: Due diligence and technical writing? What is it?

Subject: Re: Due diligence and technical writing? What is it?
From: "John Fleming" <johntwrl -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 22:10:05 -0600

On Sun, 26 May 2002 11:16:47, while chained to a desk in the
scriptorium, sclarke -at- nucleus -dot- com wrote:

> $As a newbie contractor I am struggling to understand 1) what due
diligence
> $means and 2) specifically what it means in conjunction with technical

> $writing. I've searched the archives and viewed bits and pieces but
nothing
> $definitive.

To add my $0.02, due diligence means doing what a reasonably competent
person would do to ensure all bases are covered.

That is, as a technical writer, you have taken reasonable steps to
ensure your documentation is accurate and meets the client's needs.

That means, as a writer, you will meet with appropriate subject matter
experts and do other needed research, produce a quality document, take
steps to ensure it has proper review and revision, ensure copyright
isn't being violated and that trademarks are being acknowledged, and so
on.

Certainly, as one of the other follow-up posters has suggested, it
wouldn't hurt to talk to a lawyer. Because we are talking potential
legal liability here, it doesn't hurt to exercise a little due diligence
and make sure that base is covered.

--
John Fleming
Technical Communication Contractor