RE: Framemaker on the mac

Subject: RE: Framemaker on the mac
From: Marguerite Krupp <mkrupp -at- cisco -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 13:23:19 -0400

It pains me to say this, but if your co-workers all have PCs, you'd better
get one too, especially if you're going to be sharing files.

Macs can read PC files, but PCs can't read Mac FM files unless you save
those files as MIF. Then you get into that round-tripping morass that's been
discussed ad nauseam here and elsewhere.

If anything goes wrong with the file, your co-workers will automatically
blame your Mac (and by extension, you). Doesn't matter which PC bonehead
screwed up; you'll get the blame.

I've gone back and forth between Macs and PCs with various apps. Always
found the Mac easier and less futzy. But the business reality is that PCs
dominate in most places, and thus far, Adobe hasn't seen fit to "go native"
with Mac OS X.

I fear you're fighting a losing battle. If there's some Mac feature that you
really want, it may be worth it to you. If you want to use a floppy or a Zip
disk, you'll probably need extra hardware. Bummer. Thank you Steve Jobs!

Marguerite

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l