RE:writing tests are for wussies

Subject: RE:writing tests are for wussies
From: Anita Legsdin <anita -dot- legsdin -at- watchmark -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 10:05:02 -0700

Keith Cronin says:
>So I'm wondering: does any person or organization "own" the standards used
to call a test an IQ test? Or can I string together a bunch of questions
and call it the Keithomatic IQ Test? Is it okay if mine tests the
subject's ability to remember lines from old movies, and to be able to
identify Heineken in a blindfolded beer-tasting test?<

Can I come take your Keithomatic IQ test and work for you? Sounds like fun.

I've only taken a writing test once, and that was for a temp agency that
had the biggest fee markup in our region. They never placed me in a job,
and I was thankful. It was headed by a woman who stopped coming to the STC
meetings because "I'm tired of people coming up to me and asking for jobs."
Luckily, I got a job in this company before they started administering
writing tests, and I got to design ours. I picked one of our bug tracking
reports and presented it to the applicants, asking them to make up an
outline and as much documentation as they could, based on that minimal
information (which is often a real-life scenario). I heard feedback from
one of them (who we later hired!) that it was a weird test. It must have
worked, because the person we hired turned out to be a smashing good
choice.

Anita Legsdin
Sr. Technical Writer
WatchMark
(425) 564-8135

"Old age isn't for sissies. If you want to enjoy old age, you have to work
at it."
--Edward Vandenberg, MD, geriatrician

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l