Re(2): Number/Figure

Subject: Re(2): Number/Figure
From: Jan Henning <henning -at- r-l -dot- de>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 23:20:34 +0200

>I am keeping this in mind. But, I haven't heard anyone who speaks French say
>whether the word numeral is more or less translatable that the word number.
>Before this all came up, I had no clue that number wasn't perfectly easily
>translatable.

As somebody who does translations myself, all this sounds very wrong to me.

The way you do technical translations*, IMHO, is to read the original
text, gather its meaning, and write a text in the target language that
conveys the same meaning while being as similar as possible - "as
possible" being the operative phrase. The clarity and correctness of the
translated text are paramount, and if this means translating a word as
something else than what the dictionary says, then so be it.

Using this technique, the question does not arise whether words are
easily translatable or whether a word results in the correct translation,
because the concepts are translated, not the words.

I would strongly recommend that you follow the advice of an earlier
poster (sorry, too lazy to look up the name - it's past 11pm here): Write
the manual optimized for your language, i.e., English. Let the translator
worry about optimizing it for the target language.

As a translator, I would never dream of asking a writer to rephrase the
original text to make it "more translatable"; as a writer I would not
look kindly on such requests. (At least not unless they are accompanied
by a much better explanation than any that has been given here.)

Maybe I'm too harsh here, or maybe I didn't really understand the
problem, but to me this entire affair raises questions about how well
your translator is suited to the task.

Regards
Jan Henning

* Literary translations are obviously quite different in this regard.

Jan Henning
ROSEMANN & LAURIDSEN GMBH
Am Schlossberg 14, D-82547 Eurasburg, Germany

Phone: +49 700 0200 0700, Fax: +49 81 79 93 07 12
E-Mail: henning -at- r-l -dot- de, Web: www.r-l.de
Handelsregister: München HRB 99345

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l