Re: writing tests are for wussies...

Subject: Re: writing tests are for wussies...
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 12:44:05 -0300

Kieffer, Barry wrote:

How do you flunk a Meyers-Briggs test?

Oh, don't tell me. Some pedantic nit-wit that believes that only certain personality types can be successful tech writers, or "that personality type" will never fit in with this fastidious note-taking list-making fussy group, or some other half-witted management decision?

Many people swear by Meyers-Brigg or some variation, but my own experience convinces me that they are no more accurate than a horoscope. I've taken such tests a number of times, and had widely varying results. Either I have a multiple personality disorder (a popular view, I'm sure, in some circles), or else the tests fail to account for circumstance, mood, and personality. I know that I'm irked by the either-or nature of some of these tests - often, I would choose both possibilities, at least part of the time.

"Say to the court, it glows
And shines like rotten wood;
Say to the church, it shows
What's good, and doth no good: