Re: Multi Chaps in Word ... then PDF

Subject: Re: Multi Chaps in Word ... then PDF
From: "John Fleming" <johntwrl -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 19:34:31 +0000

On Mon, 20 May 2002 13:49:06 -0400, in bit.listserv.techwr-l Mary Jo David wrote:

[snip]

$But now I'm wondering, what's going to happen when I have to create a $.pdf of the manual to post on a website. I've used Acrobat to distill $manuals that were all in one file, but not across multiple files. Have $I hit the end of the road for being able to make do with Word's RD and $TOC "master" capability?

You have not hit the end of the road.

If I understand your problem, the way you are currently producing documents--one chapter per file--will result in a pile of little PDF files with one chapter per PDF. What you really want in the end is a single big PDF file with all the chapters.

If you are using Acrobat 5, you will find "Document --> Insert Pages" is a solution to your problem. What "Document --> Insert Pages" lets you do is insert pages from one existing PDF file into another existing PDF file.

What you can do is create an individual PDF file for each of the Word files that make up your larger manual, and then assemble the pieces into one larger document.

Have fun. It's a bit labor intensive, but it works.

(By the way, the technique might also be available in earlier versions of Acrobat, I just have no familiarity with earlier versions beyond the reader.)

--
John Fleming
Technical Writer and SAS Programmer

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l