RE: Billion and other internationalization items (was Appendixes vs. Annexes)

Subject: RE: Billion and other internationalization items (was Appendixes vs. Annexes)
From: "Jane Carnall" <jane -dot- carnall -at- digitalbridges -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 11:52:21 +0100

>Just to nitpick...that's the Guardian's view of style usage, which is not
>necessarily correct (insofar as anything is 'correct', per se). During the
>1980s the Guardian was so notorious for inaccuracies in its printing that
it
>was nicknamed "the Grauniad".

True. But it's now the only newspaper that publishes its style guide; it was
the first newspaper to have a reader's editor; and it is still the only
mainstream newspaper with a comprehensive policy of publicly acknowledging
and correcting of published errors.

>A quick check of the web
>(http://www.alt-usage-english.org/excerpts/fxbill00.html) gives one example
>statistic, in that Parliament adopted the US billion in 1974; however, the
>self-same web page also notes that "the US meaning is still rare outside
>journalism and finance, its introduction having served merely to cause
>confusion" (I didn't write this!).

When I was doing science O-Grades and Highers in secondary school, and later
on in computing at university, I was universally and consistently told that
"billion" now meant "a thousand million". (Some of my science teachers at
school were rather tart about this, but none of them disagreed.)

>Apparently, South Africa, Australia and
>New Zealand still stick to the original British usage, too.

Certainly it's always better to be clear which usage you mean!

>My take on it would be that you need to explain which you're using up-front
and then stick to it (the usual tech authoring mantra of 'consistency,
consistency...'), though for the record it seems more logical to me that a
thousand thousand is a million, so
a million million ought to be a billion (hehe). As long as the reader knows
what you mean, it's fine.<

A hundred is 10 10s. A thousand is 10 hundreds. A million is a 1000
thousands. There *is* no overall logic in this: it's just what works. It
seems more logical to me that a billion is a 1000 million because it then
goes up in reasonable increments: 10, 10, 1000, 1000 - instead of 10, 10,
1000, 1000000: it depends what number-pattern you're looking at.

>By the way, I resent that "some *older* people may still be slightly
>confused", on the grounds that I'm 26. :-)

Hey, you can be slightly confused at any age. :-)

Jane Carnall
The writers all stand around a cauldron chanting and occasionally tossing in
a billion small rodents. Unless stated otherwise, these opinions are mine,
and mine alone. Apologies for the long additional sig: it is added
automatically and outwith my control.

E-mail is an informal method of communication and may be subject to data corruption, interception and unauthorised amendment for which Digital Bridges Ltd will accept no liability. Therefore, it will normally be inappropriate to rely on information contained on e-mail without obtaining written confirmation.

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l