RE: Fee-based recruiters

Subject: RE: Fee-based recruiters
From: "Dave Murray" <davemurray -at- attbi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 18:48:38 -0400

My comments were directed toward those companies which demand a fee in
ADVANCE. I have had good experiences with other fee-based recruiters that
collect a fee AFTER a candidate is placed. I even got my first technical
writing contract through such an agency.

>These are services that are worth money for people who
>cannot or choose not to handle these details themselves.

I agree. In some situations, the advice they provide can be helpful.

However, I know someone who paid a large sum of money (wouldn't tell me how
much) and heard this same line that Steven Brown described in the original
post,

>In addition to the usual resume help and interviewing
>coaching, he claimed they could "put me in front of
>the decision-makers, the people who can actually
>CREATE a job for you." Yea, right. He wouldn't quote
>the fee, saying it was based on the type of position I
>was seeking, the job market, estimated duration of the
>search, etc.

This company also offered, "exclusive research" which turned out to be
nothing more than what one could get off of any search engine or corporate
website.

There are plenty of sleazy companies out there which take advantage of
people who are looking for a job or want to change careers. Just look in
the end of the Sunday classified section of any metropolitan newspaper.

It's comforting to know that such unethical business practices are illegal
in some places (but my home state of Massachusetts is not one of those).

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l