RE: FWD: Open Office experience out there?

Subject: RE: FWD: Open Office experience out there?
From: "Jane Carnall" <jane -dot- carnall -at- digitalbridges -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 16:09:53 +0100

>You may remember that I asked to borrow some complex MS Word documents last
week. I'm
>still playing with them in OO for a review I'm hoping to do, but I have
combined them
> into a master document of about 350 pages. I'm still playing about, and
haven't
>investigated cross-references or index markers yet. However, first
impressins are
> promising. Scrolling is speedier than under MS Word, and there's been no
corruption of
> documents.

The worst problem I've noticed so far in playing with Open Office is that
the regular expressions don't work. (From the OO website, this is a known
bug caused by copyright problems.) It looks as if this makes it impossible
to do any search-and-replace work more complex than "find x, replace with
y" - it doesn't look possible, for example, search for triple spaces and
replace with a tab. (Given the way the developers here format documents,
that's an essential <g>).

Jane Carnall
The writers all stand around a cauldron chanting and occasionally tossing in
a small regular expression. Unless stated otherwise, these opinions are
mine, and mine alone. Apologies for the long additional sig: it is added
automatically and outwith my control.
Home: hj -dot- carnall -at- virgin -dot- net

E-mail is an informal method of communication and may be subject to data corruption, interception and unauthorised amendment for which Digital Bridges Ltd will accept no liability. Therefore, it will normally be inappropriate to rely on information contained on e-mail without obtaining written confirmation.

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l